Green Spring Valley Hunt Club
HISTORY OF THE CLUB
The Green Spring Valley Hunt Club was organized in 1892 to promote the very popular sport of fox-hunting. The kennels of the Hounds, which were used in the chase, were kept on the original tract of land for many years but, as more space was needed, they were moved to the
Tennis and Golf are now the primary activities at the “Lower Club” in the Green Spring Valley. Many of the present members are the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the original eighty members.
Construction of the Golf Course began in 1913 when members Thomas Bowles and Hooper Coyne gave the club $4,500.00 to acquire the land and build a 9 hole course. Laid out by members Ben Read and Robert Harrison who supervised its construction, the course was opened for play on Saturday, July 4, 1914. In 1929, the original 4th hole was eliminated and numbers one and eighteen were added. Two through nine were played twice to complete a round of 18. In 1957, under the leadership of Lawrason Riggs and Jess W. Sweetser, Robert Trent Jones redesigned the course by eliminating one hole and adding nine new ones to complete a full 18 hole course, 6489 yards long from blue tees and 6089 yards from whites.